- Bottle Gourd - one long one, prick it all over the skin with a fork and then cut it into cubes without removing the skin.
- Onions - 2 medium-sized, cut into thin long pieces.
- Green chillies - 2-3 slit along the length, you can avoid the green chillies if you want to cut down on heat.
- Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon.
- Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon.
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tablespoon.
- Garam masala - half teaspoon.
- Turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt - each 1 teaspoon. Add salt as per your taste.
- Yogurt - 3 tablespoons, beat the yogurt and mix water and make it into buttermilk.
- Spices like cardamom, clove, bay leaf and cinnamon - 2 each.
- Oil - 3 tablespoons.
- Coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Tamarind juice about half a cup of thin consistency.
- Heat oil in a pan and to it add the spices - cardamom, clove, bay leaf and cinnamom and once the spices turn colour, add chopped onions, green chillies and ginger garlic paste in that order and let the onions turn pink.
- Now add the bottle gourd cubes to it and stir it once.
- Now add turmeric, salt, chilly powder, coriander and cumin powder and also garam masala powder and mix all the ingredients and then add tamarind juice to it and let the whole mixture boil till the bottle gourd pieces are cooked soft.
- Add water if the water level comes down.
- Finally once the bottle gourd is cooked soft, add the buttermilk and again let the mixture cook for 5 more minutes and take it off the heat and garnish it with coriander leaves.
Tell me how you like the dish.