Wondering why I'm posting mostly liquids these days? I just have a great liking for them and since now it is winter and it is chilly outside, these liquids warm up the body.
- Toor dal : a handful
- Tomatoes : 2-3
- Curry leaves : 4-5
- Green chillies : 2-3, cut into half and slit along the length
- Ginger : a small piece, finely chopped
- Ghee or butter : 2-3 tablespoons ( for seasoning , you can limit the number of tablespoons to 1 or 2 as well )
- Urad dal, Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds, Asafoetida : one teaspoon each
- Rasam powder : 2 teaspoons ( you can use the multi-purpose powder, the recipe of which you can find in this blog )
- Salt : for taste
- Turmeric powder : half teaspoon
- Lemon juice : juice of 1 small lemon would be fine
- Pressure cook toor dal.
- Mash the tomatoes with hand and add water to them and squeeze the juice.
- Now add that mixture of tomatoes and lemon juice to the cooked toor dal and add turmeric, salt and rasam powder and let the whole mixture boil for about 15 minutes. Add more water to tomatoes initially so that after the mixtures boils, you wont run out of water.
- Now heat butter/ghee in a pan and to it add asafoetida, urad dal, cumin and mustard seeds.
- After the mustard seeds start spluttering, add curry leaves, green chilles and finely chopped ginger.
- Now add this to the boiling mixture.
Garnish it with chopped coriander. I'm quite sure you will love this recipe.