This is a sambar different from the Udidpi sambar that I posted previously. So here goes.......
- Toor dal : one small cup ( I took one handful ).
- Radish : cut in circles or rather slices.
- Bottle gourd : cut into pieces of medium size.
- Tamarind : about the size of lemon, soaked in 2 cups of water. If you are using readymade tamarind paste then take 2 teaspoons and mix it in 2 cups of water.
- Salt : as per your taste.
- Sambar powder : about 3-4 table spoons ( can be djusted according to your taste, I like it hot and spicy ).
- Coriander : for garnishing, finely chopped.
- Oil/Ghee : 2 tablespoons ( for seasoning ).
- Asafoetida : half teaspoon.
- Cumin seeds : 1 teaspoon.
- Mustard seeds : 1 teaspoon.
- Curry leaves : 2-3 strands.
- Wash toor dal and pressure cook it along with the cut vegetables.
- Now squeeze the tamarind juice and add it to the cooked dal and vegetables.
- Add sambar powder and salt along with the coriander leaves and let the whole mixture boil till the liquid becomes semi-thick in consistency.
- Now heat oil/ghee in a small pan and add asafoetida, cumin and mustard seeds and once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the curry leaves and add this seasoning to the boiled sambar.
Your sambar is ready. Have it with rice.
P.S :- I would prefer using butter/ghee for seasoning than oil. It tastes better and is also healthy.