It was time for my husband to get back home from work. I make him something tasty to munch on everyday by the time he's back home. Today I was hungry too by that time and I didn't know what to make. I was going through the recipes collection I got and my eyes landed on Khichdi. I didn't have all the ingredients that were mentioned there and thought I would check out an alternate version of the same on the web and started searching and I found two recipes different from each other and also different from the one I got in my collection. So I did this, mixed all the three and made a Khichdi out of it. I used the ingredients I have at home and this came out.
When I tasted, it reminded me of my school days.I had a friend in school who almost always got Khichdi and her mom made an amazing Khichdi. I always told my mom how different it was from the regular one. I didn't know how my friend's mom made it then but I sure know now and I would love to share it with you guys.
Ingradients : ( in the order of using them )
- Rice : 1 cup for one person
- Moong dal : 1/2 cup
- Ghee / Butter : 2 table spoons
- Cumin seeds / Jeera : one table spoon
- Mustard seeds / Rai : one table spoon
- Asafoetida / Hing : half table spoon
- Garlic : 4-5, minced
- Ginger : small piece, minced
- Onions : 1 medium sized, chopped
- Green chillies : 2-3 slit along the length
- Carrots : 2 chopped
- Potatoes : 2 chopped
- Cumin / Jeera powder : half teaspoon
- Coriander / Dhania powder : half teaspoon
- Garam masala powder : 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder : half teaspoon
- Salt : 1 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder : half teaspoon
- Coriander leaves : for garnishing
- Soak the rice and moong dal together in water.
- Heat ghee in a vessel used for cooking rice. Once the ghee is heated, add asfoetida, cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- After the mustard seeds start sputtering, add chopped onions along with green chillies and minced ginger and garlic.
- Once the onions are cooked soft and they change colour to pink, add the vegetables.
- Let the vegetables cook for 2 minutes. Then add the soaked rice and dal and mix well.
- Now add salt, red chilly powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Then add water and cook it closed till it is done.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Your Khichdi is done. Serve it with love and achar. I'm sure they would want more and more of it.
Till the next post eat healthy !!!!!!!!!!!