YYYYYuuuuuuummmmmmm........ the taste is still in my mouth.......................I made potato curry for dinner tonight. I wanted to make this when I made sambar but since sambar is a heavy stuff, I thought I'll have it with rasam. It is deadly combination with sambar, rasam and you can also have it with roti.
I got this recipe from a site on web. I cannot recollect which site it was but it was something I have been looking for and I found it easy to make. I have added few powders to the recipe, giving it my personal touch but otherwise it is pretty much how I found it on the site.
- Potatoes : 250 gms ( boiled and peeled and cut into small cubes )
- Onions : 1 large, chopped
- Green chillies : 2-3 optional
- Curry leaves : 6-7
- Garlic : 5-6 pieces
- Oil : 2 tablespoons
- Urad dal : 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds / Jeera : 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Rai : 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida : a pinch
- Salt : to taste
- Red chilly powder : 1 teaspoon
- Sambar powder : 1 table spoon
- Turmeric powder : 1 teaspoon
- Coriander / Cilantro : for garnishing.
Here are the ingredients I added to the recipe. These are optional but I would recommend using them for that extra taste.
- Jeera / cumin powder : half teaspoon
- Coriander / Dhania powder : hal teaspoon
These ingredients are part of sambar powder but when you add them separately you get an extra taste.
- Boil the potatoes, peel the skin and cut them into small cubes.
- Marinate the potatoes with salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, sambar powder, cumin powder and coriander powder by adding little water and mix properly and let it stay for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and add urad dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida and once the urad dal turns brown, add garlic ( gralic should be smashed so that the taste of comes out ).
- Then add onions, greenchillies, curry leaves.
- Once the onions turn soft and pink, add the marinated potatoes and mix. Cover and cook for a minute or two. Keep mixing so that it doesn't get burnt.
- Granish it with coriander.
Have it with rice or roti / bread. I loved making it and having it. Hope you guys enjoy the dish too. Do let me know how you liked it.
Till the next post...............lots of love..........