- Rice : cooked ( depending on how much you eat or the number of members you are cooking for , I used 2 medium cups for me and my husband )
- Mint : 2 bunches or 2 cups of mint leaves, same as the measure of rice
- Green chillies : I used 2 green chillies to make it not too spicy, for those who eat very less spice use 1
- Ginger - garlic paste : 1 tablespoon , I used ginger and garlic pieces
- Salt : according to your taste
- Cloves, Cardamom, Cinnamon : 2 pieces each
- Oil : 2-3 table spoons ( use according to your preference, I mean you could use less or more )
- Grind ginger, garlic, green chillies and mint leaves into a paste by adding salt to it( if you are using ginger - garlic paste, then just grind mint leaves and green chillies together ).
- Now heat oil in a wok or a pan and add the spices ( cloves, cardamoms and cinaamon ) and then the ground mixture to it.
- Once all the water goes off and the oil starts to float, then add rice to it and mix it well, keep it for not more than 2 minutes on the flame and remove it.
Ingredients for the Raita :
- Yogurt : 250 gms ( would serve 2 people but then it again depends on how much you consume )
- Tomatoes : 2 - 3 , finely chopped
- Onions : 2, finely chopped
- Coriander : finely chopped, for garnishing
- Salt : as per your taste
- Green chillies : your choice, 1 - 2, finely chopped
- Mix all the ingredients and your Raita is ready.
This is one kind of Raita. The Raita I prefer to have is the one with cucumber.
Ingredients and procedure are almost same, instead of tomatoes, I add cucumber ( Kheera ) and I dont add green chillies to that. Instead, I add red chilly powder, just a pinch and I also add about 2 - 3 table spoons of sugar. I also don't add onions to this but if you prefer, then you can have onions added to the cucumber raita.
Your mint rice is ready to serve. Have it with Raita or you can have it as it is. I would also suggest to have it along with sliced cucumber. the heat of the rice and the coolness of cucumber is really amazing.
With the same procedure for rice, you can also make coriander rice, tomato rice, palak / spinach rice. Just replace mint with any of the above mentioned vegetables and the respective rice is ready. Although, with tomato you would want to boil it first, peel the skin and then grind it separately from ginger, garlic and green chillies. There are other methods to make tomato rice and I shall post them later.
Hope you will enjoy this dish by both making it and having it.
Til the next post, eat healthy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!