Saturday, May 2, 2009

Koot - recipe

It has been a long time since I posted any recipes. I guess it is time I posted one. Here it comes..........



Koot is the recipe of Tamilnadu. I have a Tamilian friend who's mom is an amazing cook. I've learnt quite some recipes from her and this is one of them. Whenever I like something I eat at anyone's place, I ask the procedure to make it and try it at home. I love South Indian food but I love experimenting with dishes from all over the world, provided they are tasty and healthy.


Ingredients :
  • Kaddu / bottle gourd : 250 gms ( cut into cubes of medium size, like you cut for Sambar )
  • Toor Dal / Pulses : one small cup ( about 100 gms )
  • Coriander : for garnish
  • Oil : 2 tablespoons
  • Salt : as per taste

Ground paste ingredients :

  • Fresh coconut ( not the dried one ) cut into small pieces : about 50 gms
  • Jeera / Cumin seeds : 2 table spoons
  • Red chillies ( dried ) : 5 - 6 ( number depends on how hot you prefer the dish to be )


Procedure :

  • Pressure cook the toor dal and the bottle gourd pieces and keep it aside.
  • Grind the coconut, cumin seeds and red chillies into powder and then a little bit of water to it and grind it into a thick paste.
  • Boil the cooked mixture of dal and bottle gourd for about 5 - 10 minutes by adding salt as per your taste.
  • Now add the ground paste to the boiling mixture and let it boil for not more than 2 minutes and take it off the heat.
  • Garnish it with coriander.

Koot can be made with cabbage also. The procedure remains the same, except that you substitute the bottle gourd with cabbage. It is supposed to be very healthy if you don't make it very spicy. I prefer to eat it less spicy.

Till the next post, eat healthy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love

R

No comments:

Post a Comment