Saturday, May 9, 2009

Natural colour for hair - Henna preparation

I don't believe in artificial hair colours as I'm always scared I would lose my hair but since I have premature greying of hair, I have no choice but to colour it. So I use henna for colouring my hair.
This is how I prepare it.
You would need :
  • Henna : one cup would be enough for short hair
  • Yogurt : 3 table spoons
  • Fenugreek powder : 2 table spoons
  • Amla powder : 2 table spoons
  • Tea decoction : half cup ( use it at the end to mix everything so that you can use as much as it requires )
  • Lemon juice : from one whole lemon
  • Egg white : of one egg

The above ingredients are for one cup of henna.

Uses of the above ingredients :

  • Henna is a natural colouring agent and also a conditioner. It cools off your scalp.
  • Fenugreek in yogurt is beleived to get rid of dandruff and Lice in the hair ( I shall post on using the preparation of yogurt and fenugreek, for the same purpose, soon.........)
  • Amla powder makes the hair black.
  • Lemon juice is again used for dandruff treatment.
  • Egg white is a conditioner.

Procedure :

Mix all the ingredients and keep aside for atleast 4-5 hours. I usually make this preparation and let it stand by overnight and then apply it the next morning. That would leave an amazing colour.

For those of you who do not want the regular coulour of henna, mix beet root juice for burgundy colour. Instead of mixing the tea decoction at the end, add 2 tablespoons of decocotion and then mix the beet root juice finally. In this case avoid amla powder.

There are two methods of using the henna preparation. One is for hair conditioning and other for hair colouring.

For hair conditioning, apply oil to the hair at night and then apply the henna the next morning and leave it for 2-3 hours before washing it off with a shampoo. This leaves a mild colour and conditions very well.

For hair colouring, apply henna first and then let it stay for 2-3 hours before you wash it off with water ( do not use shampoo immediately ) and after the hair dries completely, apply oil and then shampoo the hair the next day. That will take care of both conditioning and colouring too.

Hope this post of mine was of some help to you. I am not sure if there would be any reaction to these because I have seen many use it and I personally use it and I haven't found anyone including me have any side effects or allergies with the above preparations. In any case I would suggest you take a patch test to make sure it leaves no side effects.

Till the next post, stay beautiful and healthy.

Love

R

1 comment:

  1. Two tips you missed .
    One, has to wash the hair to remove the oil dirt for henna to do color well , half an hour is enough
    Two , very important DONT sampoo the hair for 2 days , just wash off with plain water , in 2 days the henna color settles to darker tone :)
    Other tips :
    Those who have hair fall ... root cause is shampoo make sure u wash hair only 2 times in a month . other days use mild hot water and few drops of shampoo
    -kaushik

    ReplyDelete