Few days back i made this. Andhra pradesh is famous for its gongura. Our meal is not complete without this leafy vegetable. Whether it be weddings, parties or any get together, the menu is complete only if it has this leafy evegtable in it.
There are many ways of cooking this vegetable. Gongura chutney is most famous and tasty among all. What i give you here is a variation of the chutney. So here goes the recipe.
- Sorrel leaves , leaves separated from the stems
- Onions : 2 medium sized ( if you are using about 3 bunches of sorrel plants )
- Green chillies : 2-3
- Oil : 3-4 tablespoon
- Urad dal : a table spoon
- Cumin seeds : a teaspoon
- Mustard seeds : a teaspoon
- Asafoetida : half teaspoon
- Red chillies ( dried ) : 2-3 ( if you want it to be more spicy or hot )
- Methi or methi powder : methi - half teaspoon / methi powder about a pinch
- Salt : as per your taste
- Red chilly powder : half teaspoon
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai and add urad dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, methi, dried red chillies and let them fry for a minute.
- Then add cut onions and green chillies ( slit longitudinally ) and let that fry till the onions change to golden brown.
- Then add sorrel leaves and fry it till the leaves change colour leaving out all the water and the whole mixture comes together.
- Now add salt and red chilly powder and let the whole thing fry for another minute before you take it off the flame.
Happy cooking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!