- Tomatoes : 250 gms, cut into long pieces
- Oil : 3-5 table spoons
- Red chilly powder : 2-3 table spoons
- Salt : 1-2 table spoon
- Asafoetida : a pinch or two
- Mustard Powder : 2-3 table spoons
- Tamarind : size of lemon
- Grind mustard seeds into a powder and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and add tomatoes and tamarind and let the whole mixture boil till it becomes soft.
- Add red chilly powder, salt, asafoetida and mustard powder and boil the whole thing for some more time till the oil floats on top.
- You can also add a pinck of methi powder while it is boiling but i usually avoid it for the fear of turning the pickle bitter. A pinch wouldn't make much difference i guess.
Your tomato pickle is ready. Have it with hot rice and ghee.