Do you remember which was your favorite recipe when you were a child.? Which recipe you enjoyed the most? My favorite recipes change according to the season.
In summer I enjoy recipes made of Mango like Mango Dal, Mango rasam, Mango pulihora (made with rice), vadiyalu www.sandadesandadi.com/vadiyalu.html, majjiga charu (made of yogurt) , pacchi pulusu
sampoorna-themantra.blogspot.com/2009/02/pachchi-pulusu.html to name a few.
One of the recipes I love is vadiyala charu. It is very easy to make. I have seen only my parent-generation making this dish. May be our tastes changed due to globalisation. We tend to forget our good old recipes which our parents, grand-parents used to make. These have less calories as compared to the ones which we are eating and good for health.
For Vadiyala pulusu:
- 2 onions.
- One tomato.
- Tamarid size of a small lemon (Soak it in water for 10mins).
- Vadiyalu (Fry them in oil).
- Jaggery or sugar (I prefer Jaggery)
- Cumin seeds ( Jeera ) : half teaspoon
- Mustard seeds ( Rai ) : half teaspoon
- Asafoetida ( Hing ) : half teaspoon
- Red chillies : 2 broken into half
- Curry leaves
- Dry Red chillies.
- Oil for making tadka.
- Salt to taste.
- Turmeric powder.
- Cut onions into very small pieces.Fry them in Oil.Wait until they turn light brown/golden yellow.
- Cut tomato into small pieces.
- Add tomato pieces to fried onions.let tomato get soft.
- Now add tamarind water to it.Let it simmer for few minutes.
- Add Jaggery,salt,pinch of turmeric powder to the boiling liquid with low flame.
- Now add Fried vadiyalu to it.
- Now for tadka heat some oil (spoon) add cummin seeds,mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves and dry Chillies to it and later add some asafoetida to it.
Pour this tadka / seasoning into the simmering liquid. Serve the recipe with rice.
P.S:I will learn how to prepare vadiyalu and post it.Till then i have the picture for you.